So, you’re looking to get rid of those strips of white and red after pregnancy? Don’t worry you are not alone. Having stretch marks after pregnancy is quite usual occurrences.
The stretching of the abdomen to accommodate the growth of the baby in the womb are one of the ways by which a lot of women develop stretch marks. But that not the only place women stretch during pregnancy.
The Causes of Stretch Marks
So it is quite easy to develop stretch marks on all these body parts while you’re pregnant.
The skin covering the arms, hips, bust, belly, and legs especially stretch during pregnancy due to the fast rapid growth of the child. Stretchmarks are usually called Striae Gravidarum if they appear during pregnancy.
After pregnancy, you might begin to feel worried that your skin might not go back to its flawless condition way before your pregnancy and this might be true.
But it can get really close. Stretch marks appear on most skin and it is almost as common in men as it is in women so there is no cause for alarm. Up to 90% have stretch marks start to appear on their skins from the time of their pregnancy, other factors could also contribute to its development.
When does Do Stretch Marks start in Pregnancy?
If you are pregnant, you may begin to wonder the period most likely for you to start developing stretch marks.
I want to tell you that while you can employ some preventive measures to reduce your chances of having it, should you eventually develop stretch marks, it should not be a source of worry to you.
And there are even more effective methods you can take advantage of when you’re no longer pregnant. Stretch marks can begin to appear even within the fifth to seventh month of getting pregnant as this is around the time that the baby goes through the major growth process. Although for some women, it might start to appear within the first 3 months, it is rarely the case.
How to Prevent Stretchmarks During Pregnancy?
To avoid having to go through the stress of looking for the best option to treat your stretch marks, here are some simple steps you can take to prevent your stretch marks during pregnancy.
A few might breakthrough but they will likely be lesser than if you hadn’t considered these preventive measures:
- Eating healthy: this is one of the most important things you need to do when you’re pregnant and this isn’t just to avoid stretch marks, this will also help facilitate the healthy growth of your child as well. Also, you should try as much as possible to stay away from junk eating and incorporate a balanced diet into your eating habit. Take more of vegetables, protein, fruits, whole foods, vitamins, and diary
- Massage swollen and prone areas: the areas that are prone to stretch mark on your skin include the stomach, the feet, thighs, breasts, and arms, you can try out a stretch mark prevention oil on those areas. Do this at least 3 times a week, it will encourage blood flow and reduce your chances of developing stretch marks on them
- Drink lots of water: during your pregnancy, you should drink lots of water, water has been discovered over the years to keep the skin fresh. This will, in the long run, reduce the appearance of blemishes on your skin
- Exfoliate: if you already have stretch marks in some areas of your body or you are trying to prevent its appearance, try to exfoliate that body area at least once a day, this helps to keep the body flawless and it gives the skin enough room to breathe so as to prevent future breakouts
- Keep your skin hydrated: if you already have a normal skin routine, you would be used to hydrating some parts of your body. During the period of your pregnancy, be sure to hydrate the skin of your stomach, this will increase the production of collagen to the skin and increase the overall skin elasticity
Best Pregnancy Stretch Marks Creams
#1 Dreambelly Stretchmarks Butter
This cream is suitable for before and after pregnancy, it aids the production of collagen in the skin and helps it stretch enough to accommodate the baby.
Some of its major ingredients include rosehip oil, grapefruit, aloe vera, and honeysuckle.
These all-natural ingredients have been discovered over time to help preserve the lawless quality of the skin and reduce the appearance of stretch marks like blemishes.
It is quite easy to incorporate into the skin.
How to Apply Dreambelly Stretchmarks Butter
Rub thoroughly over the skin of your belly twice a day till you’re sure it is properly incorporated into your skin
#2 Mommy knows best stretch marks cream:
This cream is intricately formulated to keep stretch marks at bay as well as reduce the appearance of already developed stretchmark on the skin. Formulated with essential oils you are guaranteed the freshest skin in no time
#3 Mummy Care Post Pregnancy Firming Lotion
This product was essentially made for post-pregnancy stretch marks and scars and was produced with all-natural ingredients including avocado oil and shea butter. Rub twice daily on the skin of the stretch mark ridden areas for optimal results.
It helps to drastically reduce the appearance of stretchmark, rehabilitate and reduces the number of wrinkles present on the skin. to apply massage into the skin thoroughly till it is properly incorporated
Other Medical Remedies
- Retinoid Cream: this cream can heal or reduce the appearance of stretchmark on your skin by repairing the tissues that are underneath the skin and supplying the body with collagen. Its production will increase the elasticity of the skin and reduce the appearance of stretchmark, this cream is highly recommended if you just recently developed stretchmark on your skin, it can help it fade to the greyish or whitish color that signifies healing from stretch marks. Before using retinoid cream to get rid of your stretchmark, please speak to your doctor to ensure that it is perfectly safe
- MICRODERMABRASION: You might choose to consider this option, as it is one of the quickest methods so if you want a speedy option, this is the one. It is a very strong exfoliant that gets rid of the dry and dead layers from the skin birthing new and fresher skin
- LASER THERAPY: this is a medical option that helps in stimulating more production of collagen in the body when you’re about to explore it, do talk to your doctor to ensure that it is a good time to do laser therapy. With the different laser therapy options available to you, your doctor will be able to tell you the best option to take
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks After Pregnancy
Various remedies have been prescribed for the treatment of stretch marks. But the easiest ones you can take advantage of,(especially if you’re looking for a low treatment option for the stretchmarks you developed while you were pregnant) are food or skincare items that can be found within the comfort of your home without much stress or fuss
- ALOE VERA: simply rub over the affected expanse of skin, leave it for about 10- 15 minutes Then wash off with warm water
- HONEY: prepare a honey scrub by making a mixture of honey, salt, and glycerin. Apply to the affected area, leave for a couple of minutes and then clean off with a warm cloth
- OIL: Some of the oils you can make use of includes castor oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, coconut oil avocado oil vitamin e oil or almond oil To apply simply rub over the affected area for a couple of minutes till it is fully incorporated into your skin Some other home remedies or ingredients you can take advantage of to treat post-pregnancy stretch marks include sugar, lemon, egg, potato juice, alfalfa
- LEMON JUICE: to apply simply squeeze lemon juice unto your palm and apply over the area with stretch marks, Leave for 10-12 minutes, then rinse off. You might also choose to dilute the lemon juice with cucumber. Apply for a couple of weeks to notice results
- Aerobic exercises like swimming can also reduce the appearance of stretch marks on your skin. You should also try taking alternate water bathes. This is alternating between warm and cold water regularly. This has been discovered to actively improve the circulation of the blood and reduce the appearance of flaws on the skin.
Getting rid of post-pregnancy stretch marks is a gradual process, so you need to pace yourself to avoid disappointment. For some treatments, you might begin to notice improvements within a week, while for some other ones, it might take a couple of weeks. Through this process, try your best not to let this minor detail rob you of the time you should ordinarily be spending with your bundle of joy as nothing compares to the joy of becoming a mother